So as I have mentioned I have been using The Desire Map to work on how I want to feel rather than chasing goals. Although I seem to plod after goals. The next step is about taking actions to bring these feelings into different areas of my life (relationships, body, soul, livelihood, etc). And it doesn’t have to be big actions. It can be a small as deciding what to wear today.
I thought I would share my core desired feelings with you – you know because I am a blogger!
For me this is about living my ultimate life. Not letting fear and doubt hold me back. I am an expert procrastinator which I think is often linked to fear and uncertainty. To be courageous is to feel stronger and braver, change what I can’t accept, accept what I can’t change, be adventurous and be fully me.
I want to be healthy and nourished in my body and feed my mind and soul. I also want to nourish the relationships that are important to me. Connect with friends and family (especially important with me having moved again), cherish my relationship with Tim and build new relationships. Gratitude is important here and making more thoughtful and conscientious decisions.
I feel happy when I create: taking photographs, making something with my hands. I also want to be creative in other parts of my life – cooking, connecting, what I wear, what we do on date night. I think it is also important for me to stop being passively creative (i.e. spending hours of my life on pinterest) and spend more of my time actually creating.
I think many speak of exhilaration and joy and I don’t find it hard to spot these moments in my life when they happen. I would however, like to cultivate the moments that I am just calmly content and focus on that instead of dwelling on negative things. Again there is an element of gratitude and appreciation. It is also about what I have read somewhere about ‘practising enoughness’. As an environmentalist I think it is important that we don’t over-consume and being happy with what I have is definitely something I need to work on, because for some reason I always seem to want a new pair of shoes!
I really like this one. I just feel open thinking about the word. There are several layers to this – a physical sense of confidence, working on being ‘brilliant’ – the best I can be, being positive, a figurative sense of sharing ‘my light’ – sharing . Also, just buying a lamp for our lounge that has a lovely light rather than the harsh overhead light (that I actually accidentally killed on new year’s eve)!
With those in mind my big intentions for this year are …
- Making photography my business. Fear has held me back and for a long time I have worked in jobs that are the just-paying-the-bills-variety. I love taking photos and why shouldn’t I make a living from something that I find joyful?
- Make everyday creative – whether it is taking a photo, cooking a new dish, making something or hopefully some more ideas will come to me.
- Nourish my body with healthy food and exercise so that I feel luminous in my wedding dress.
- Learn Italian – I would like to reach level B1 by the end of the year. Not quite a ‘feeling’ thing but living in a country and only having a basic grasp is a bit trying.
- Finish my dissertation (this has nothing to do with my current core desired feelings but has to be done!)
Weekly and monthly I will also undertake actions to help me feel my core desired feelings.
- I am nourishing my sense of adventure and relationship with Tim by being a tourist in our new town.
- I’ve started a creative gratitude project over on instragram #mygratitude365.
- I am aiming to walk 10,000 steps a day and drink lots of water.
I’ve had so much fun reading about other’s goals for the year so good luck and I look forward to reading some more.