I loved the bamboo forest. It was about 40 minutes on a bus from where we were staying. I loved traveling on the bus. I saw school kids get on and off, an elderly lawn bowling group get on and off and a buddhist monk with rope shoes get on and off. Tim napped.
We got a little lost finding the bamboo forest but eventually a monk showed us the way! We were there early so the tourists hadn’t arrived. Just a few school groups (who seemed to be going on tours with taxi drivers).
Just so you know:
- You can’t walk amongst the bamboo. I thought you would be able to but you can’t. I suppose if thousands of people were wondering through it would get rather damaged.
- Growing bamboo has the most beautiful green tone. It is so calming. And it grows super tall.
- Lotus flowers are pretty awesome.
- The gardeners in these beautiful old gardeners have shoes that are made from some sort neoprene fabric and have individual toes.
- Sometimes buddhist nuns take pictures with phone cameras (I kind of imagine she was taking a selfie).
- Staring at a pond for a while can make you feel very zen (the garden is in a temple that is next to the bamboo forest).
- The little town that the bamboo forest is in is pretty cute but you might want to get the bus back before all the tourists really arrive.